Yes, so long as your program serves primarily women, children, and/or families. For example, a program that serves 70% women and 30% men is eligible to receive a Many Hands grant.
No. Our budget requirements apply to the organization as a whole, not the program for which you are seeking funding.
Yes. Our budget requirements apply to the organization that is seeking funding, not the target program.
You are eligible if you have a local board of directors with fiduciary duties. If your local board is an advisory board, you are not eligible to apply.
No. We accept applications only from organizations that have been in operation for five years or more. We look forward to receiving your application once you have reached the five-year mark.
Yes, and we encourage you to apply again. Any organization that has not received funding from Many Hands may reapply for a grant. In addition, organizations that have received grants of less than $100,000 are eligible to apply after sitting out one grantmaking cycle. Only our $100,000 Impact Grant winners are ineligible to reapply for a Many Hands grant.
Yes. We ask each applicant to designate the focus area that best fits the program for which it is seeking funding: education, health, housing, or job readiness. If we have questions about your selection of a focus area, we will contact you.
The number of varies from year to year. In 2019, we received 98 applications in our four focus areas: Education – 41; Health – 17; Housing – 21; Job Readiness – 19.
We will review your application to determine whether you meet our eligibility criteria and will contact you if we have any questions. We will notify all organizations of our decisions regarding eligibility by January 15, 2020.
The Focus Area Committee to which you have been assigned will review your application, beginning in late January. You may be contacted by a committee member for more information during this process. Based on its initial review, the committee will conduct site visits at several organizations. If your organization is not selected for a site visit, you will be notified by mid-March. Following the site visits, the Focus Area Committee will select its semifinalists. If your organization is not selected as a semifinalist, you will be notified by mid-April. Our accountants will review the semifinalists’ financial statements, and the committee will then choose a finalist. If your organization is not selected as a finalist, you will be notified by early May.
Congratulations! Each of the four finalists will receive a Many Hands grant. Prior to our Annual Meeting, you will be asked to submit any updated program information for Many Hands members to review and to schedule a second site visit for Focus Area Committees and Board members who were unable to attend the initial visit. You will also be asked to make a short presentation to our membership at our Annual Meeting. Our members will then vote to select the organization that will receive the Many Hands $100,000 Impact Grant. The remaining three finalists will each receive a Many Hands Partner Grant. The Partner Grants vary in size depending on our fundraising. In 2018, each Partner Grant was $40,500; in 2019, they were $58,500 each.
Applications for the 2020 grant cycle must be submitted by 11:59 pm on Friday, November 15, 2019.
NEW for the 2020 cycle – the Many Hands online application is now powered by Foundant™. All organizations must register and create an account to apply for a grant. You will be able to create your account beginning October 1. We suggest creating your account well in advance of the grant deadline to avoid any last minute issues. Once you have created an account, you will be able to begin the application process, save in-progress applications, and easily upload required documents.
Click on the link to our online portal, which will be posted on this page from October 1 through November 15, and enter the following information:
- An email address (This will be your username and user account ID.)
- Your contact information
- Your organization’s information, including EIN/Tax ID number
- Contact information for the organization’s executive director
Yes. We are using a new system for accepting applications. All applicants must now create an online account.
Yes. Your account is unique to each funder, even if you use the same email address.
No. You cannot submit an application without creating an account.
You can reset your password here.
Your account dashboard is displayed on screen every time you log in. From the dashboard, you can:
- Edit your contact information.
- Begin the application process.
- Access application drafts and submitted applications.
We recommend Google Chrome 14 or higher, Safari 4 or higher, or Firefox 9 or higher. Users of other browsers or older versions of those listed above may experience minor technical issues.
No. Applications are only accepted via our online grants platform.
No. At the bottom of the application is a “Save as Draft” button. We recommend that you save your application often and before logging out. The system will autosave your work every 20 minutes.
Yes. The character limits are generous, and you should not find them restrictive. You do not have to reach the character limits.
No. We recommend that you complete your application in a Word document and copy and paste the responses into the online system. If you prepare your application in this way, be sure to keep track of character limits and note that any formatting is likely to be deleted when you paste your responses into the online system.
- If you stay on one page for an extended time without saving, your account may time out without warning.
- A weak internet connection may momentarily The character limits are generous, and you should not find them restrictive. Remember, you do not have to reach the character limit.disconnect your computer while you are working on the application.
As a safeguard, we recommend that you:
- Save your application often.
- Cut and paste your answers into a Word document to save as backup.
To restore your edits, try:
- Reloading the page, as sometimes the browser will cache an older version of your page.
- Logging out, waiting a few minutes, and then logging back in and re-opening your application.
No. Once your application has been submitted, we cannot accept any amendments or edits, even if the submission deadline has not passed.
If you would like a hard copy of your application for your records, log in to the application portal and click on Application Packet to create a PDF of your application. You can print or save this document. You will always have access to your application by logging back into the application portal, even after you submit it.
The following attachments must be included in order for you to be able to submit your application:
- The organization’s most recent Form 990
- The organization’s IRS determination letter
- The organization’s current fiscal year operating budget
- An estimated line item budget for the proposed program or project
- The organization’s financial statements (whether or not audited) for the prior three years (2018, 2017, and 2016)
- If a local chapter or affiliate of a national organization, the approved local budget
- The resume or brief (one paragraph) description of the credentials and experience of the Executive Director
- Information on your Board of Directors indicating those serving in leadership positions and information on directors’ terms of services
All attachments must be submitted as PDFs (.pdf).
You should give each file a name that identifies your organization and the type of document it represents. For example, a file representing your budget for the previous fiscal year could be named “OrgName-Budget FY2019.” Do not use any symbols except for a period or a dash; other symbols can interfere with the upload process.
- Once the file has been uploaded, a Delete File button will appear beside the file name. Clicking this button will remove the file.
- To replace the file, a new file can be uploaded in its place. Click on the Upload a File button to upload the correct file and replace the original one.
Yes. The size limit for attachments varies and is listed prominently on the online application. If your PDF file exceeds the maximum file size, use “Reduce File Size” in Adobe Acrobat. If you are unable to reduce the size of your file as required, please contact us at email@example.com for assistance.
If there are no symbols in the file name (other than a period or dash) and the file is of an approved type and size, try one or more of these suggestions:
- Try saving a new, renamed version of the document.
- Try saving your file as a different type. For example, if you tried to upload a Word or Excel document, try saving it as a PDF file and then uploading this version.
- Try uploading from a different computer.